Instructional Paraprofessional II (Heavy Work)
Purpose: The Instructional Paraprofessional assists the Instructor in creating a positive learning environment to facilitate the personal, social, and intellectual development of students. To accomplish these tasks, the Instructional paraprofessional works closely with the staff and administration of the cooperative and school district.
Responsible to: Instructor, Building Principal, Director of Special Education, Cooperative Regional Administrator
Salary: Approved and recommended by the ANW Board of Directors
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 48 college hours or qualifying score on Master Teacher Para Online Exam within the first 90 days of employment.
- Health and inoculation certificate on file in the Central Office.
- Desire to continue career improvement.
- Maintain appropriate number of inservice hours each year according to KSDE inservice requirements.
- If the position requires travel, a valid driver's license must be on file with the Central Office.
- Assist in facilitating the personal, social, and intellectual development of students.
- Assist in establishing a positive learning environment, and respond to the individual needs of students.
- Ensure that all activities conform to district and cooperative guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the school district, cooperative and community.
React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
Appropriately operate all classroom equipment.
- Support the value of an education.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the cooperative and school district.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials. Must be able to complete Heavy Work as defined by exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Medium Work.
- Occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Can require some travel.
- Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Assist in the instruction and supervision of students.
- Observe, record, and report student behavior.
- Assist students with remedial work.
- Tutor students as directed.
- Assist with small group instruction.
- Monitor student progress.
- Assist students in games and in the proper use of playground equipment.
- Use appropriate behavior management techniques to maintain a positive climate for learning.
- Motivate students through effective communication and evaluative feedback.
- Set high expectations for students achievement and behavior.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal relationships with others.
- Assist in providing for the special physical needs of students.
- Escort/transport students to and from various school facilities and areas.
- Provide daily feeding and/or mealtime supervision, toileting, and hygiene care as needed.
- Grade papers and assist with record keeping.
- Take attendance and record absences.
- Prepare instructional materials and supplies for use.
- Attend staffing and general staff meetings when required.
- Assist in the maintenance and inventory of materials.
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, community agencies and other groups.
- Assist in safeguarding confidential information.
- Immediately report accidents, assaults, destruction of property and abusive behavior to the Instructor and Principal.
- Adhere to required program guidelines as defined by the Kansas Plan for Special Education.
- See that district and cooperative policies are observed during all activities.
- Keep abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
- Adhere to all district and cooperative health and safety policies, including all precautions of Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
- Other duties as assigned by the Instructor, Principal, Director of Special Education or designee.