Purpose: The Bus Aide assists in providing safe transportation to help students enjoy a complete educational experience. To accomplish these tasks, the Bus Aide works closely with the staff and administration of the cooperative and school district.
Responsible to: Director of Special Education, and Transportation Supervisor
Payment rate: According to Classified Salary Schedule
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver’s license on file at the Central Office.
- Health and Inoculation Certificate on file in the Central Office.
- Desire to continue career improvement.
- Assist in providing safe transportation to help students enjoy the complete educational program of the school district.
- Ensure that all activities conform to district and cooperative guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the school district, cooperative, and community.
- React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
- Appropriately operate all equipment as required.
- Support the value of an education.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the cooperative and school district.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Requires stooping, kneeling, bending, turning, and reaching.
- Requires climbing and balancing.
- Extensive travel required.
- Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Must work in and around dust, fumes, and odors.
- Occasionally requires move, lift, carry, pull, or push medium to heavy work objects or materials. Medium work is defined as exerting 50 to 100 pounds.
- Assist bus drivers in supervising students.
- Maintain effective student discipline.
- Ensure that students board and depart the bus in an orderly fashion.
- Assist young or disabled students in boarding and departing the bus.
- Assist in providing for the special physical needs of students.
- Escort/transport students to and from various school facilities and areas.
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, community agencies, and other groups.
- Assist in safeguarding confidential information.
- Immediately report accidents, assaults, destruction of property, and abusive behavior to the Transportation Supervisor and Director of Special Education.